For many years, sheep have been a close friend to humans. Even though most of the time they are bred for food and clothing, many people still find sheep as amazing pets. Besides dogs and cats, sheep would make great pets if you are to take good care of them. They are highly responsive to human interaction and love to play around. Unlike other pets, sheep and goats have proved to live in harmony with other pets in the same house.
Are you looking for a good sheep name for your flock? Stay tuned we will be reviewing cool sheep names in this post.
Funny Sheep Names
Sheep are fun pets at home. If you are looking for a good, yet funny sheep names, here is an incredible list;
- Woolicious – Perfect name for the fleece breed sheep.
- Wooliam – A funny name close relative to the human name William.
- Pirate sheep
- Cotton Ball
- Wooly Bully
- Fleece Machine
- Holy Sheep
- Mike Donnely
- Cool Whip
- Bo Peep
- Wool Ball.
- Fluff Ball
- Shearly – Perfect for sheep that need regular shearing.
The Top 10 Sheep Names
Are you looking for quality names for your lamb? Here are the top 10 sheep names;
- Scape Goat
- Lambert – Borrowed from a Disney movie with a sheep as the main character.
- Bo Peep – The best name for a sheep, borrowed from the movie Little Bo Peep.
- Billy The Kid.
- Billy – Perfect for male sheep. Most male goats are known as Billy goats.
- Nanny – Perfect for a female sheep. Infact, most female goats and sheep are known as nanny goats.
Cute Sheep Names Of All Time
Cute sounds adorable. If you are looking for adorable and cute sheep names for your fluffy lamb, here is a creative list;
- Vanilla Bean
- Cream Puff
- Bah Bah
Girl Sheep Names
Whether you are having an adult or young sheep, here are some of the best girl sheep names;
- Tinker Bell
- Snow White
Boy Sheep Names
A ram with short curved horns would make a cute sheep in your home. However, you will need the best boy sheep names to name him. Check out our creative list of male sheep names. For more pet names look here.
Famous Sheep Names
If you are to look back into history and identify a famous sheep name, then here is a good list of famous names for a sheep and their meaning;
- Dolly – The most famous sheep in history. Also, the first-ever mammal to be cloned.
- Shrek – A famous sheep from New Zealand well known for having escaped for 6 years into a cave.
- Methuselina – Known as the world oldest sheep. She lived for 25 years unlike other sheep who live between 10-15 years.
- Lance Corporal – Highest ranking sheep in the British Army for her good behavior.
- Famo Montauciel – Famous for being the first sheep to board a hot air balloon. This name basically means “Climb To The Sky!”
Celebrity Sheep Names
Are you having a favorite celebrity and would like to put your lamb in the spotlight by naming them after the celebrity? Here are some of the best celebrity sheep names;
- Brad and Angie – Named after the perfect couple Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.
- Derek The Sheep – Borrowed from The Beano a famous Sitcom.
- Merely Sheep – Perfect name for a female sheep.
Pet Sheep Names
Here is a shortlist of pet sheep names both male and female;
All you need to know about sheep as pets
One thing to note about keeping a sheep as a pet is that there are several domestic pet species. However, the common and most preferred species is the Ovis Aries. They qualify as the perfect livestock for any environment and have a relatively higher lifespan as compared to other species such as;
- Fleece Sheep – Mainly bred for wool.
- Hair sheep – Mainly bred for meat.
- Miniature sheep – Bred for both meat and wool.
Seep love to stay as a flock! If you are planning to bring one to your home, it might be necessary to bring along at least three sheep. When you have such a flock, they will grow as happy pets, with little to no anxiety.
Like any other pet, sheep can be defensive at times. When they feel they are in danger, they will often run away from it and seek refuge in the house. If a predator corners them, you will notice them gathering a charging posture, ready to attack.
It is important to bring sheep of the same family in a single flock. They will easily bond together and create a happy flock.
Fun facts about the sheep
Since their domestication, you can expect to find fun facts about the sheep. Here are impressive facts that you need to know about the sheep.
Sheep can be called by different names
Different names refer to sheep. Whether it is based on their gender or the age of the sheep, here are the common sheep names.
An adult female sheep is called an Ewe. An adult male is known as the Tup, or a Ram. A young sheep is called a Lamb, while a castrated male is known as a Wether.
Next time you are having a sheep in your household, you have an easy time naming your pet.
Their wool keeps growing
Have you ever heard about the famous Shrek in New Zealand? Here to bring the juice! It was a famous Merino sheep whose wool was shorn after six years of living in a cave. The wool was enough to make suits for 20 men. Incredible, right?
The merino sheep have an excellent quality of wool. Their wool doesn’t stop growing. For this reason, the wool has to be shorn at least once a year.
Sheep have an incredible memory
Are you having trouble differentiating one sheep from another? Well, yes! However, this is quite different for the sheep. They have a wonderful memory and will remember each sheep in their flock, as well as human faces.
Sheep require handy leadership
Back in 2005, a sheep jumped over a cliff and the rest 1500 sheep jumped over the same cliff blindly! Sheep have an innate tendency to follow another sheep or a shepherd. So if you are having a flock, you will need to handy in leading them. Else, could turn catastrophic as that scenario in Turkey.
With these fun facts, it is true that sheep make great pets. However, it might be largely dependent on how you interact and take care of them. Sheep make great pets for the right owner. They require constant interaction and a clean shelter.
Save this pin on your animal board on Pinterest.